Saturday, February 26, 2005

We will plant shallots for grandma.


2:50 p.m.

Another blue sky day. Temperatures are in the mid-50's. We visited a couple of Big Daddy's worksites this morning, then went to the nursery and garden center to pick up some seeds and plants.

We bought white and red onion sets, shallots, broccoli, cabbage, beets, lettuce, carrots, radishes and asparagus. The onions are tiny things in baskets which we bought by weight. The Monkey, of course, had to have her own paper sack full of shallots. She said, "I will plant these for Grandma!" She has her own little garden where the daffodils are coming up and the orange and purple pansies we planted last Fall are blooming.

We spent the afternoon clearing and tilling the garden while Monkey miraculously napped. I am looking forward to radishes fresh from the ground. The French Breakfast are my favorite. We bought a packet of the Black Spanish Rounds to try. They look so strange and well, so black. The Baby Nantes carrots did well last year so we'll plant those again. I can't wait for fresh picked lettuce and salad greens. I will be looking every day for signs of growth. How will I ever be able to wait until next year for the asparagus? I am a most impatient gardener.

And I still think that the Seasons are just toying with me and it will snow again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment