Monday, January 02, 2006

A New Year

Yesterday was a perfectly lovely day. The weather was practically balmy. I set outside in an adirondack chair and fed the chickens popcorn. That was about as much activity as I could handle. You see, my body seems to be rejecting one or both of my lungs. The awful virus Big Daddy brought home just before Christmas has nearly wiped me out. After four days I am feeling better though. Today the weather has changed and I'm sitting inside watching clouds roll up and down the valley.

I thought a little bit about what I would like to do this coming year. So here's a quick rundown.

1. I would like to learn a new skill. Something I haven't done before.

2. I would like to become more self-sufficient around the household. Grow more produce, can more things... I'd like to be able to do more with less this year.

3. I plan on being kind. I normally try to be, but there seems to be a lack of kindness and respect in the world these days. I'll make it my little mission to change things when I can.

4. I am planning to read one new interesting book a month - any topic, fact or fiction.

5. I am planning on one new painting a month as well. More would be better, but we'll start with an attainable goal.

6. And finally, I will get rid of the unwanted and increasingly nasty roosters.

I've been addressing #2. I started a natural yeast sourdough starter yesterday. Nothing too exciting on that yet. Also, Big Daddy had a lot of leftover fat as he was preparing uncountable pounds of brisket for the smoker. I rendered down the fat and am going to make my own suet cakes for the wild birdies today. I think I have enough to keep the nuthatches, chickadees, woodpeckers and titmice happy for a month or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment