Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Here Chickie, Chickie

I ordered my chickens last night. I had to order 25. This is due to the fact that they ship them when they are a day old and 25 is the magic number for keeping the little girls warm. It was so difficult to choose what type to get. My problem is that I look at all the pretty feathers and weird features and I want one of each. And don't even start to tell me that something is rare, because I want it even more!

I decided to go with decent all-around birds that would be calm and nice to live with. I wanted Dominiques. I fell in love with them last summer. I also like the Black Australorps, all shiny green-black, so I ordered a few as well, including one Australorp rooster. I like the idea of a big black rooster looking over all those hens, except now I wish I had ordered a Dominique rooster instead. Then I ordered a few Golden Polish, just for their mop heads. Next were the Golden Laced Wyandottes and a few Rhode Island Reds. They should make a colorful lot, although I'm not sure what I'll do with 25 of them. Actually it is 26 because McMurray Hatchery sends one rare goofy chicken as a freebie with the order. The suspense is killing me. I can't wait to paint them.

I want to thank my friend, Kristin for her insight and experience with chickens even though she wanted me to order all the truly strange. The baby chicks arrive the week of April 25. That's plenty of time to get their new home prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment