Monday, December 27, 2004

A Play Date

Sophie and I are supposed to meet my friend, Tonia, and her son, Jacob, at the park in a little while for a playdate. It's 38 degrees outside. That's fine when you are running around like the crazy toddler that Sophie is, but it's a little chilly when you're the momma stuck on a park bench. I will just have to be active; besides, So needs the fresh air. I should start getting Sophie bundled up, but Tonia is always late. It's a 15 minute drive to the park, so if I leave when we are scheduled to meet we may get there at the same time.
Tardiness is one of my greater pet peeves and I always seem to have one friend that it perpetually late. If you are late, you better have other character traits that outway the tardiness. Tonia has a lot of good qualities, so I let it slide.
I really haven't met that many people since we moved here in April. Staying at home makes it a little difficult to meet new people. I think too that many people our age with kids just don't have the extra time and energy to expend on new friendships. Our neighbors (the few that we have) are seasonal, older or just plain scary. I can handle "country" and "mountain" quite well, but the Ingles down the hill with their abundance of confederate flags, their Pontiac Firebird up on blocks and their numerous pit bulls, just don't have a lot in common with me.
I was supposed to see an old friend of mine from camp. She's visiting her parents that live in Asheville for the holidays. She was going to call, but I haven't heard from her. I'm not sure how long they are staying. I'll probably hear from her once she gets back to Birmingham. Oh well. I should go get Sophe ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment