Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Recovering

Ah, the joys of post-holiday relaxation... Things are getting slowly back to normal. Big Daddy went back to work this morning. The Monkey, unfortunately, seems to have picked up a little stomach bug somewhere. She's convalescing on the sofa - watching cartoons, nibbling on saltines and sipping some peppermint tea with honey.

Everyone received something that they truly wanted. All our gifts to friends and family arrived at their destinations on time and seem to be appreciated. But what was really wonderful was that we spent a quiet day together as a family with no obligations to the outside world.

I spent a small part of Christmas day loading songs on to my new iPod. I feel a little like I did when I got my first Sony Walkman in high school. (Yes, they came out when I was in high school. I'm old...) I reminisced and ended up downloading songs that I only had on albums or cassettes. I told you I was old. Then I moved on to other tunes. I went on a five mile walk yesterday morning, bundled up against the snow and wind. The iPod was a welcome change to my routine. Also, with all this "new" music I can now respond to the meme that Jamie tossed my way.

So here it goes...

7 Songs I'm Into Now (in no particular order)

1. Soul Meets Body - Death Cab for Cutie
2. Bed Bugs and Ballyhoo - Echo and the Bunnymen
3. Essence - Lucinda Williams
4. Girlfriend - Matthew Sweet
5. Wake Me Up When September Comes - Green Day
6. Do You Realize - Flaming Lips
7. Michael Rockefeller - Guadalcanal Diary

I won't tag anyone in particular, but you can tell me your current favorites. I still have lots of iTunes gift cards to spend, so if you have any suggestions, let me know. I do live in any area with very little radio reception (not that I've ever been that influenced by radio play) and what stations I do get tend to be top 40, oldies rock, and blue grass.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate.

    I do love Lucinda, and "Girlfriend" was always a favorite of mine. I don't think you're as old as you think you are. ;)

    I'm already tired of the seven I picked. Except for Eliza Gilkyson. I could never get tired of hearing her voice. And I love anything by Tracy Grammer & Dave Carter. Enjoy that iPod!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have great musical taste! I love all the bands you posted, except I am pretentious enough to insist that I only like early Lucinda. ;-)

    I suspect we are all equally old...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Echo and the Bunnymen.

    I remember seeing them in concert.

    Ian McCulloch threw a hissy fit on stage.

    Gah. That makes me old too, doesn't it??

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, perhaps we're not as old as all that. Thanks girls.

    Babs, Ian McCulloch, hissy fit - I can see that. :)

    ReplyDelete