Monday, September 04, 2006

Local Summer #10

I'm a little late in posting this meal, but it's a holiday weekend. I wish I had a picture of the whole meal, but we had guests and I totally forgot to take a picture of the lovely plate. Here is a photo of the turkey before we utterly carved it up into nothing. Charlie cooked it on the Weber grill.

Our dinner:

Turkey - 0 miles
Mashed Potatoes - 0 miles
Green Beans - 0 miles
Everything was flavored with herbs, onion and shallots from the garden - 0 miles.

Dessert was Belgian Dark Chocolate Ice Cream from Ultimate Ice Cream - a local establishment that makes exquisite ice creams - 5 miles

That bird is going to be feeding us for a long time.

We've been enjoying turkey sandwiches for the last two days. Tonight Charlie is making turkey pot pie (stuffed with veggies from the garden, of course).

We've also been enjoying these:

Kirby's Whippoorwill Cowpeas from Baker Creek Seeds.

And these:
Kentucky Beefsteak, also from Baker Creek. I ordered almost all of my tomato seeds from Baker Creek and I have new favorites. This one is extremely tasty and orange. It has yet to succumb to blight. It's still producing monster tomatoes. Another favorite has been Spear's Tennessee Green, which is green when ripe; turning to yellow if left on the vine. My only disapointment has been Amish Paste, which succumbed rather quickly to blight and split easily. Luckily, I had a lot of Italian Paste volunteers coming up from last year and I'm now getting a nice late crop of those.

I've spent the weekend in the garden trying to bring it back from the August Blah's. I'm ready to plant those fall crops now.

2 comments:

  1. I think this could be your localest yet.

    Look at that crackly roasted skin! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't believe how juicy it was. Charlie has down the cooking of the turkey on the weber grill.

    ReplyDelete