Sunday, August 05, 2007

One Local Summer - Week 6

After almost 2 weeks of eating take-out and chain restaurant and midwestern comfort food, it was nice to get home to fresh home-cooked meals. We nourished ourselves daily with food from the garden. Our lunches (and at least one dinner) consisted of baked potatoes and green beans, with a few tomatoes thrown in. It was hard to choose a meal this week to label our OLS meal. Last night's meal won out.



We grilled hamburgers made with beef from Hickory Nut Gap Farm/Spring House Meats, Fairview, NC - 17 miles. The buns are from Annie's Naturally Bakery, Sylva, NC - 48 miles.

We served it with corn from Old Fort, NC - 20 miles; slaw made with cabbage and onions from the garden - 0 miles; and tomatoes from the garden - 0 miles.

Oh, and dessert - french vanilla ice cream made with whole raw milk from Harmony Dairy, Westminster, SC - 100 miles and eggs from our hens - 0 miles.

Seasonings and condiments, except for the Duke's Mayonnaise, where all non-local.


5 comments:

  1. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

    What kind of tomatoes are those?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about your ice cream... just whole milk & eggs (& sugar, I presume)? Does it have good mouthfeel? I'm always on the hunt for a good recipe!

    We had burgers tonight, too, but the buns weren't local. Oh well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This particular recipe came from the Joy of Cooking. It had that home-made-kind-of-ice-milk feel (not my favorite), with the bottled vanilla extract flavor. It reminded me of the kind we made about once a summer when I was a kid. I tried a recipe out of last month's Gourmet for mint ice cream a few weeks ago. While I wasn't wowed by the flavor (it tasted like peppermint tea to me), the texture was incredible. I plan to experiment with the basic recipe and change flavors. I'll post it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have mister stripey, but they're not ripey yet!

    ReplyDelete