Monday, July 03, 2006

A Little Mystery














This little fella turned up on my drive this afternoon. I was in the garden and heard a fit of peeping. At first I thought monkey had let the chicks out, but no. As the little guy ran across the drive I noticed that it was most definitely a duck.

About an hour later I found a second one in my garden following one of the turkeys around. Poor little thing. I have no idea where they came from. There is no sign of a mother or siblings. I was afraid to leave them outside because they would be tasty little snacks for some critter - wild or border collie...

So, I put them in a brooder and decided someone must have sent me two little wild ducks. I think they are mallards. I am truly confounded as to where they came from. Charlie thinks that someone dumped them at the "Chicken Lady's" house. I'm not sure I want that title, but I'll keep the ducks.

1 comment:

  1. Huh! Free ducks. Mysterious, but very sweet. :-)

    ReplyDelete