Lissa tagged me with a meme. I've been so busy for the last week that I just let it slip by. I also had to think of 7 random things, so here you go -
Seven Random Things You May Not (or maybe you do!) Know About Me
1. My first paying job (one with tax forms and a paycheck and such) was the Easter Bunny at the local mall. I dressed up in a giant bunny suit in a storage room near Dillard's, then walked to an Easter-themed throne near the food court. Somebody had to hold my hand and guide me because I could only see out of a tiny screened hole in the bunny head's mouth. I was 15. And then, I was the first female usher at the movie theater in my home town. Yeah, I was fighting the fight for equality in Mid-Missouri as early as 1980...
2. I left the movie theater gig (it was hard, because I was quickly becoming addicted to popcorn and the hip polyester vest) to become an exchange student it Iceland. This is before it was the ultra cool spot it is now. I spent a summer riding horses almost every day (heaven), working in a fish factory (not so heavenly) and seeing a part of the world that is extraordinary.
3. I have a Master of Fine Arts in painting. I don't paint as much as I want to. That is a major frustration in my life.
4. I spent close to 3 years as an agroforestry/environmental protection Peace Corps Volunteer in Togo. Togo is a tiny country in West Africa with something close to 45 different languages and ethnic groups. I lived in a village in a mud hut with a thatch roof. I had no running water or electricity. I did have chickens, a couple of goats and a dog. I rode a bike everywhere. I have never been more happy. I have been to Niger twice. I played in a softball tournament in the Nigerian National Stadium against the Japanese Embassy team from Nigeria (I think it was Nigeria). I never saw weapons grade uranium. I swear.
5. During my time in Africa, I visited a rainforest in Ghana where I walked an a tiny little rope bridge through the canopy. I am afraid of heights and get vertigo when I look down. How did I do it? I pretended I was Indiana Jones. True.
6. I never learned to play a musical instrument. This was somewhat intolerable to me, so last year I started violin lessons. I play a mean Suzuki repetoire and have moved on to Celtic fiddle tunes. I recently discovered my teacher (who is much younger than me) is the niece of one of my best friends. Small world.
7. I did not own a car until I was 31. I walked, rode my bike, used public transportation or borrowed a car until that point.
Now at this point, I'm supposed to tag 7 more people. I think I will let you tag yourself. I'll post the rules here. Leave a comment if you give us 7 insights, please.
Here are the rules from Lissa:
Once you are tagged, link back to the person who tagged you.That would be Pattie, with the link to her original post above.
Post these rules on your blog.
Post 7 random or weird facts about yourself on your blog.
Tag 7 people and link to them.Comment on their blog to let them know they have been tagged for the ring.